Friday, June 7, 2013

Usain Bolt beaten by Justin Gatlin in 100m in Rome


US sprinter Justin Gatlin beat six-time Olympic champion Usain Bolt in the men's 100 metres race at the Rome Golden Gala, Diamond League, which took place yesterday. Justin beat Usain by one-hundredth of a second, that's like 1% of a second. Justin actually had to dip his head over the line to win in 9.94 seconds. Usain came in 9.95.

Usain was making his first appearance in the Diamond League this season since his recent recovery from a hamstring injury. Usain explained what happened to him:
"I got the perfect start that I wanted, then about five steps in I stumbled a bit and that kind of threw my game off. My legs didn't feel like my legs coming into the straight. I guess I need to do more strength work. I think I just need time to get it back together but the fact I got a good start threw me off. At least I got under 10 seconds. 
 "It is always a good thing to lose. You can figure how to step it up. I knew I wasn't in great shape but I'm not worried. It takes time to get back into shape and I didn't expect much from this race."
Usain's next race will be in the men's 200m in next Thursday's Diamond League meeting in Oslo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this post?